V-2 update

I put the fins on, primer, motor tube and mount. It must of took me all of an hour. The fins are the weakest link in the chain here. Glued on with CA and a bit of putty to blend they are surprisingly strong. However the next one (and there will be a few) I plan to do epoxy filets which would be even stronger.

IMG-0384copy.jpg
IMG-0366copy.jpg

I want to get one in the air by our now section launch on the 26th. Where we fly there’s a bit of grass and soft weeds, in the desert where we fly it’s not so forgiving. Test flights will tell me what works best but for now she’s’ good to go once I get her all painted and finished.

This can also be built as a static model. It’s pretty scale in shape and dimensions. And the tail cone reveals the scale bell. I plan to build one for static and really detail it out.

IMG-0374copy.jpg

I compared our V-2 to the former Estes kit of the same size. They both weight about the same. But the differences are apparent. The fins of the Estes are much larger. Ours is closer to scale. At the scale size with our smaller V-2 I didn’t notice any instability in 3 flights. It tracks well with no problems found. I can only imagine Estes made the fins so large on theirs to increase stability.

IMG-0385copy.jpg

It’s a tiny bit longer too. Overall I’m very happy with the rocket and can’t wait to paint it and give it a flight.

IMG-0387copy.jpg

She’s not real big. A great size though up to F motors and G for the bold. I may do a larger one yet but for now this will do well for local low power club launches and scale enthusiast.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s